The Grade 3 Open Farm Day Tour hosted on September 15th, 2023, is a fun, interactive farm tour in which Grade 3 classes across the island spend a morning touring a local dairy farm and another commodity farm. This event provides students with a unique educational experience, where they gain knowledge and understanding of the food they consume, the farmers who grow it, and how it gets to their plates.
The tour is in association with PEI Open Farm Day and takes place the Friday before Open Farm Day held Sept 17th! The morning tour entails having students visit two farms - one dairy farm and one commodity farm. While visiting, students will have a chance to ask questions and receive a free snack! A resource bag is also provided to teachers providing resources to explore agriculture.
We request that each school has one Grade 3 teacher representative for all the classes attending to make it easier for communication.
Representative duties include:
1. Complete the registration form, which opens on Monday, June 12th. (NOTE: One registration form per school).
2. Arrange for bussing billing AITC PEI-Grade 3 Tour- forward to Shelley@peiagsc.ca
3. Review PEI agriculture with your students prior to the tour. https://atlanticopenfarmday.ca/
4. Ensure that both teachers and students wear closed-toe shoes for safety purposes.
5. Advise students to use the bathroom before leaving, as we can not guarantee that all farms will have available facilities.
1. Provide you with the farm names and locations.
2. Pay for the bus invoice.
3. Provide ADL milk for every student and teacher, plus a snack bag with a muffin and apple.
4. Meet you at the farm to help with the tour.
5. Provide you with a resource bag.
Due to the short turnaround time, we encourage your school to register as soon as possible to not miss out on this great opportunity! Space is limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
This educational tour is made possible by funding from the PEI Dairy Youth Trust.
Registration for the tour is open to all Grade 3 classes across Prince Edward Island!
Registration is now closed for 2023
Register by clicking the link below!